Makes –6 portions
Cream 550 ml
Egg yolk 10 nos
Breakfast sugar 180 gms
Chopped fresh ginger 1 tsp
Cardamom pods 5 nos
- Find 6 shallow bake proof porcelain dishes that would hold approximately 120 ml of fluid.
- Mix the cream, egg yolks, sugar and whisk it thoroughly, strain the mixture.
- Add toasted cardamom seeds and chopped ginger to this mix. Pour it in the dishes and use a double boiler(i.e. put a tray of hot water and place the dishes in it like a water bath).
- Bake in an oven preset to 120 degrees centigrade. Take care not to overcook it, otherwise it will give a curdled texture.
- Bake it not more than half an hour till the custard sets.
- Sprinkle sugar on top after it has come to room temperature and gratinate the top till the sugar caramelizes.
- Options: Serve it with strawberries or any other fruits
Tasting notes: A very Indian flavour to a classic French dessert, the zing of ginger mellows with the fragrance and flavour of fresh cardamom.